Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Briggs talks up WBC title hopes

Page last updated at 22:14 GMT, Monday, 11 October 2010 23:14 UKVitali Klitschko and Shannon Briggs Klitschko struggles to get a word in edgeways against Briggs
Shannon Briggs says he is in the best shape of his career ahead of his 16 October fight against WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko in Hamburg.

The former WBO title-holder claims to have shed 40lbs, and tore his tee-shirt off to prove it at a news conference.

"I have never prepared so well for a bout," said the American. "When I have finished with Vitali, they can bring on Vladimir immediately."

Vladimir Klitschko holds the WBO and IBF versions of the heavyweight crown.

Briggs, 38, has a record of 51 victories, with 45 inside the distance including a record 27 stoppages in the first round, five defeats and one no-contest.

"I really feel for you, you've made a bad choice," the 38-year-old said, addressing Vitali Klitschko at their joint media event.

"You are going to meet an adversary [like] you have never met before. I can hit, box and dodge my opponent's punches."

Klitschko tried to intervene on several occasions without success and the 39-year-old Ukrainian was only able to speak after Briggs had walked out of the room.

"It is not easy to find an adversary for me or my brother. Shannon accepted immediately to fight me and I thank him for that," said Klitschko, who has held the WBC title since October 2008.

"But when I hear him say he is going to propel me into retirement, that just makes me laugh.

"I am ready and I am going to show that I deserve to wear this belt which has been worn by [Mike] Tyson, [Lennox] Lewis and Muhammad Ali.

Klitschko's overall record stands at only two defeats in 42 bouts.



View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment